The convent faces Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara, one of Lisbon’s most beautiful viewpoints
This convent, founded in 1670, faces one of Lisbon’s most beautiful viewpoints (the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara). It’s a U-shaped building inspired by 17-century palaces, and was only slightly damaged in the 1755 earthquake that destroyed almost everything else in the city.
The convent's church
The church, embedded between two wings, features an altar dating from 1758, and almost the entire decoration dates from this period, including the gilding with plant motifs. However, the collection of paintings predates the earthquake, and is originally from the colossal convent in the city of Mafra, including a huge oil painting representing the Holy Trinity, by Pierre-Antoine Quillard, a French painter who died in Lisbon.
On the walls are also 18th-century blue-and-white tile panels, depicting scenes from the life of St. Peter of Alcantara.
The marble chapel of the Lencastres
The highlight of the convent is the funerary chapel of cardinal Verissimo de Lencastre, which wasn’t affected by the earthquake. It’s an architectural and artistic gem, covered in inlaid marble.
Tile panels in the church, depicting scenes from the life of St. Peter of Alcantara
The entire monument had always been closed to the public throughout its history, until it opened for visits in 2014, after the last nuns moved out.
How to Get to Convento de São Pedro de Alcântara
Tram 24 (which departs from Praça Luís de Camões in Chiado) and bus 758 (which departs from outside Cais do Sodré Station) stop across the street, by the viewpoint. From Baixa or Avenida da Liberdade, take the Glória funicular, which goes up the hill from Restauradores Square (the convent is a short walk up the street).
Rua Luísa Todi, 1-11, Bairro Alto
Admission and Tickets to Convento de São Pedro de Alcântara
The church and chapel are free to visit, but guided tours (which include other areas of the convent, such as the sacristy and upper choir) are €2.50. The English-language tours happen on Fridays at 3pm.
It opens every day (only in the afternoon on Mondays)